Tuesday 27 May 2014

DIY Fringe T-shirts

Hello everyone! Today I thought I would share with you a simple DIY project of how I transformed a basic tee, to a cute fringe shirt perfect for summer. If you have a t-shirt just sitting in your draws with no use, this is a great way, to make it more interesting and wearable! This DIY is super easy to do and the end result looks fab! Below are some before and after photos, of both mine and Katie's t-shirts:
 
 
 
To begin with, here are the things you will need:
 
 
Fabric scissors work better as you will be cutting fabric, however you can use any sharp scissors also. You can either use an old t-shirt you already have but I recommend the top being slightly oversized as you will be cutting it shorter. We just bought a white tee from Primark for only £3.
 
 
 
Firstly, put on your chosen t-shirt and use the pen/pencil to mark where you want to cut your top. Personally I found this easier to do whilst wearing the top so you can easily tell the length of the shirt on. Remember you will be cutting the fringe too, so don't cut your t-shirt too high unless you want a shorter crop top (the fringe part makes the top shorter). I cut 5 inches off my t-shirt as I wanted the top to be slightly cropped. You may decide to cut off more or less depending on your personal preference and the length the shirt is already.
 
 
After you have marked how much you are going to cut off, take your scissors and carefully cut the front and back of the t-shirt in a straight line, so it is to your desired length. It doesn't matter too much if the line isn't exactly straight because you will be cutting the fringe so it will not be as noticeable.  
 
 
When you have cut off the unwanted material, your shirt will look something like this! Next you want to measure how long the 'fringe' will be, and mark it with a small line. I went for 4 inches, which made the tassels perfect to my liking. Again, it's up to you how long you want to make your fringe as it will change the overall length of the top. I cut each strip approximately an inch wide.
 
 
 I chose to only fringe the front of my t-shirt, but you can cut the back too, which is what Katie chose to do. Then when you have cut all of the tassels, you are done! To achieve the look of Katie's fringe t-shirt, all it involves is taking two tassels next to each other and double knotting them. Keep going all the way across the front of the shirt and you will be finished!
 
 
Above are the finished results! Overall it is a quick and easy method to spice up your t-shirts. I really enjoyed this DIY, and I hope it has inspired you to have a go to! Trust me, this was our first time making my own DIY shirts, and I must say they turned out pretty good! I hope you liked this post and please do comment if you try it out!
 
Chloe x

No comments:

Post a Comment